Skip to main content

Educated: A Memoir :: Tara Westover

EDUCATED: A MEMOIR
TARA WESTOVER


It took me way longer than it should have to read this book. It was nothing to do with the book, the book itself was great! The last month and a half has been a bit rough for my family, with two deaths and a very scary and serious hospitalization, I didn't have quite as much time one my hands to read. You would thing that sitting in in a hospital for a week would give you EXTRA time to read, but when your loved one is in pain and needs help with things, what seems to be every twenty minutes, reading becomes HARD

Educated is the first memoir that I have ever read. I usually tend to read fictional books. Saying that, this book was amazing. A girl with no formal education( if you can even count her informal information), decides she is going to attempt to get into college. She does this by going to a book store and buying textbooks to teach her in subjects, such as Algebra. Then she reads these textbooks and teaches herself with some help from an older sibling, so that she can take the ACT test to get into a university. This decision was not made only to be able to go to college, but to also get away from her family. Even though she has grown up with them and knows nothing else, Tara still fees that there is something wrong with the things that happen in her home, so she chooses to leave.  

Her father is anti government to the CORE, and is a bit deranged when it comes to some of his beliefs. Her mother, follows her father with everything that he says, whether this is because she truly agrees with him or because she is scared, it is hard to tell. Through this book Tara struggles with the idea of leaving, staying, and simply what is right and wrong. This book is a story of Tara's life and the transformation of where she came from, to where she is now. 

Check it out on Amazon!
 If you've read this book, let me know what your thoughts were on it, I'd love to hear!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Racing in the Rain :: Garth Stein

THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN GARTH STEIN I have never thought that I would like a book that is written from an animals perspective. Not that I don't like animals, I do. I actually love animals. My husband and I have an eight year old Labrador Retriever, who is our baby. I could not imagine life without her and we have trouble thinking about the fact that she is getting closer and closer to the end of her life. With that being said, when I go to a book store and am picking out a new book, these types of books never seem to interest me. I finally gave in on this one and am so GLAD that I did.  I have never cried reading a book and this one put tears in my eyes.  This book portrays life as a dog sees it. Enzo works hard at keeping his family together during a heart wrenching custody battle. He supports his owner, and even though he does not have a human thumb and cannot talk back, he listens to his owner and has learned to communicate to the best of his abilities

A Thousand Splendid Suns :: Khaled Hosseini

A Thousand Splendid Suns Khaled Hosseini  Okay everyone! This book is absolutely amazing and Khaled Hosseini is becoming one of my favorite authors! The book is written slightly differently than Hosseini's well known book T he Kite Runner , but is still AMAZING! This book is about the stories of two Afghan women, how each of them were raised (completely different) and how even though there are years apart in their age, their lives eventually intertwine with each other. Strangers, enemies, and finally family.  Even though I was reading this book at a very busy time in my life, it was always on my mind. I was trying to find as much time as I could, which unfortunately wasn't much, to read this amazing book. I absolutely LOVE reading about cultures that are different than mine. I always try to imagine if I were in the situation that the character was in and what I would do. In this case one thing that stood out to me and I have always been curious about is arrang

No Exit :: Taylor Adams

NO EXIT   TAYLOR ADAMS   I had been waiting for this book to be release in January, which just happened to also be my birthday month. My brother and sister in law surprised me and pre-ordered it for me! So thanks to them and Amazon Prime , I received this lovely book the day after it was released! I did wait until February to read it, because at work we have a small book club, and it was February's book to read! I have very THANKFUL that this as bought for me, because it was such a good book! So this book... OH MY ! I read this book in three evenings! If I didn't have to work and have things that needed done at home, it honestly would have been read faster! This book was absolutely AMAZING! It had me on my toes the whole time. The moment I thought I knew what was going to happen, here came a TWIST ! This book had me squirming and wanting to cover my eyes, as if it were a scene from a movie that I were hiding from!   This is such an excellent book